Wednesday 23 October 2013

Serials

Gaynor Davies has emailed that she is actively looking for serials and although it is something I have not tried, I have sent her a proposal. I intend to re-work a story I sent to Maggie Seed that she turned down. It will be a new discipline for me and I don't know exactly what to expect but I was thinking of having a go before her email.

A while ago I was approached by People's Friend to write a serial. I did a lot of work on my proposal but eventually it was turned down. I did however, go on to sell the story to My Weekly as a pocket novel, so the hard work wasn't wasted.

I feel to have a serial accepted would raise one's profile as a writer and help significantly with plotting techniques, characterisation and things like cliff hangars which you don't necessarily need in a pocket novel. If I get the go ahead I think it will stretch my writing muscle.

I know we have some serial writers amongst our numbers and wondered what are their thoughts on this one. What do those of you, who like me have never had one published, think? Or those with experience? I feel it's a good subject for debate.

3 comments:

  1. I have a serial pending at The People's Friend - waiting for final approval so my fingers are crossed for that. My proposal to Gaynor after her request wasn't accepted. She said it was 'very pleasant but rather tame' (I think that says it all! I think she's looking for something a bit different and she also mentioned humour in particular. Back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret and Wendy - I have pitched to Gaynor after which she has asked to see the first 2000 words which I submitted yesterday. Am now waiting with baited breath to see if it's got enough legs to run. Thank you for posting Wendy. Mine is a bit gritty, about a woman who finds a bundle of cash on some wasteland. However I was considering a humorous one so might work up a few ideas in that direction. I think serials are a bit like children - pleasure and pain in equal amounts. It's wonderful to work closely with an editor but also horrendous when they keep asking you to change things. It's a long, long haul and you cannot let your writing muse run away with you becuase you have to keep so closely to the brief. However gaining this sort of discipline is excellent training for any writer who wants to be published because one always has to please the editors. Anyhow, good luck Margaret let us know how it goes. And Wendy, congrats on your latest PF story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to say Gaynor turned down my proposal. At least she let me know quite quickly. I'm still not completely sure I have the discipline for a serial, but I shall play with a few ideas now the darker nights are with us. Good luck, Cara. I hope you're successful. Wendy too with People's Friend.

    ReplyDelete